Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Quiet leaf vacuum or leaf blower is very practical for cleaning driveways, parking lots, sidewalks, patios, gardens, front gardens, lawns, beds and much more.
Such devices are of great help, especially when the leaves need to be removed in autumn.
In this article we will look at the different models and what properties they bring with them.
In autumn the leaves fall – and must be removed
When the days get shorter, the sun is increasingly losing its power and the leaves of the trees turn brightly colored, then autumn has come.
Now it won’t be long before the leaves fall from the trees.
The variegated foliage looks nice, but it can be a serious hazard. Because wet leaves on sidewalks and streets quickly become a slipping hazard for cyclists and pedestrians.
So property owners should ensure that the fall foliage is removed from the sidewalks in front of their home.
But garden owners should also collect the leaves at this time of the year and keep the garden tidy.
Overall, such a leaf vacuum / leaf blower is suitable for clearing driveways, sidewalks, terraces, gardens, lawns, beds and much more of leaves, dirt and garden waste.
Electric leaf blowers are usually quieter
You have probably seen workers working with a leaf blower or a leaf blower and been annoyed by the deafening noise, right? Even with the windows closed, this work can usually still be heard clearly and disturb the peace and quiet in the house.
In our old apartment we had such workers across the street every week. Not only in autumn, however. At any time of the year, property management employees use a leaf blower instead of a broom to clean the front yard, driveway and parking lot.
In all honesty, we found that pretty outrageous as they used gasoline leaf blowers which were really extremely loud.
Leaf vacuums and leaf blowers are extremely practical. However, care should be taken that these little helpers are not too loud during operation.
Of course, if large areas are to be cleaned, then petrol leaf blowers are already practical, since these devices do not require a power source and a battery does not have to be constantly charged. Here it is enough if a canister of gasoline is available to refill.
Here it is more or less similar to that of lawnmowers .
Such a device is nevertheless very annoying for residents. In addition to the extreme noise, there are also the smelly exhaust gases from the gasoline engine.
Electric leaf blowers and vacuums are better in this regard. Such devices are operated by an electric motor, which is supplied with energy either by a power cable or a battery (battery leaf blower)
3 quiet leaf blowers at a glance
Now it will be exciting. Because in the following we present you 3 quiet leaf blowers, which we noticed particularly positively during our intensive research:
Bosch leaf vacuum / leaf blower Universal Garden Tidy
The Bosch Universal Garden Tidy leaf vacuum / leaf blower is a cable-operated garden vacuum that has a leaf vacuum and a leaf blower function.
According to the manufacturer, the device is now even quieter in the garden thanks to a noise reduction of up to 75% at full power. Of course, this makes you sit up and take notice and hope for quieter work in the garden.
The Bosch Universal Garden Tidy has an output of 1800 watts and an airflow speed of 165-285 km / h. The device also has a collection bag with a 45 liter volume.
Bosch leaf vacuum / leaf blower Universal Garden Tidy properties
Below you will find the most important features of the Bosch Universal Garden Tidy leaf vacuum:
- Power rating: 1800 watts
- Air flow speed: 165-285 km / h
- 45 liter collection bag
- Leaf blower function: variable speed of air flow for different surfaces
- Leaf vacuum function: Excess dust and moisture are drawn away from the user by the integrated bag
- The universal garden tools from Bosch – flexible and powerful with intelligent solutions for a variety of projects
- Noise reduction of up to 75% enables quieter work in the garden
- Leaf vacuum function – Excess dust and moisture are drawn away from the user by the integrated bag
Einhell cordless leaf vacuum leaf blower GE-CL 36 Li E Power X-Change
This very interesting set consists of the Einhell cordless leaf vacuum leaf blower GE-CL 36 Li E-Solo Power X-Change and the original Einhell 18V 2x 3.0Ah & 30min PXC starter kit .
Or to put it in simpler words: In this set you get the Einhell cordless leaf blower + two batteries and a quick charger. Both batteries are required for operation.
The Einhell cordless leaf vacuum is a device that is operated without a cable, but by batteries. This of course gives you maximum flexibility outside and you don’t have to deal with an annoying power cable.
This Einhell cordless leaf vacuum is a 3 in 1 device and has an integrated suction, blowing and chopping function.
The 45 liter collection bag with a window to check the fill level is also practical. So you can always check how much space the collection bag still has to offer.
At the front of the pipe the device has two large guide wheels, which also push the leaf blower. This takes the strain off your work.
Einhell cordless leaf vacuum leaf blower GE-CL 36 Li E Power X-Change properties
In the following list you will find the most important features of the Einhell cordless leaf vacuum:
- up to 210 km / h blowing capacity
- maximum suction capacity of 720 m³ / h
- Leaves are chopped at a ratio of 10: 1
- 45 liter collection bag with viewing window
- 2 large guide wheels
- Electronic speed control to regulate the intensity of the suction and blowing function
- Battery operation
Einhell cordless leaf vacuum leaf blower GE-CL 36 Li E Power X-Change (Li-Ion, 2 x 18 V, 210 km / h air speed, brushless motor, 45 l collecting bag, carrying strap, incl. 2x 3 Ah batteries and charger) *
- The Einhell battery-powered leaf vacuum / leaf blower GE-CL 36 Li E-Solo is a useful and practical helper, designed for multifunctional use with high potential with up to 210 km / h blowing power and a maximum suction power of 720 m³ / h.
- You can switch from the suction to the blowing function without tools and without great effort. In this way, the function can be changed without any modifications. The leaves are chopped at a ratio of 10: 1 and thus offer more space in the collection bag.
- Thanks to the 2 large guide wheels, the cordless leaf vacuum can be parked and pushed when working on the ground, which minimizes weight and relieves the hobby gardener. Even uneven terrain is no problem with the robust wheels.
Black + Decker electric leaf vacuum / blower with chopper
The cable-operated Black + Decker leaf vacuum and blower with chopper is a real all-rounder and offers 3 functions in one device, namely vacuuming, blowing and chopping.
In addition, the large leaf catcher backpack is already noticeable at first glance, which has a capacity of 72 liters and, with its quick-release system, ensures optimum mobility and high ease of use.
Black + Decker electric leaf vacuum / blower with chopper properties
In the following list you will find the most important features of the Black + Decker electric leaf vacuum / blower:
- Power rating: 3000 watts
- Suction power: 14 m³ / min – ideal for quickly removing stubborn, damp garden waste
- Blowing speed: 418 km / h – blows away even the most stubborn dirt in the garden
- Variable adjustable suction and blowing power enables optimal adaptation to a wide variety of tasks
- The integrated chopper reduces the volume of the sucked up leaves in a ratio of 16: 1
- Robust metal chopping wheel optimizes the airflow and the chopping performance
- Flexible suction hose ensures maximum mobility
- Including attachable leaf rake, 72l leaf catcher backpack with quick release system, shoulder strap and shoulder pads
- The leaf blower and vacuum cleaner are ideally suited for the quick removal of stubborn and damp garden waste, accelerates composting through the chopping function and facilitates disposal
- Extremely powerful: blowing speed of 418 km / h and suction power of 14 m³ / min – the adjustable blowing and suction capacities enable individual performance adjustment to the respective task
- Convenient: Backpack bag helps you to work at long intervals and impresses with its quick release system / With flexible suction hose – optimal mobility and high ease of use
What is the difference between a leaf blower and a leaf blower?
Quiet leaf blowers blow – again the name suggests – the air is blown out towards the front at an enormous blowing speed. This allows you to simply blow leaves and dirt into a corner of the property and then collect and dispose of it there.
A quiet leaf blower, on the other hand, works similarly to a vacuum cleaner and sucks the leaves into a large collecting bag with high suction power. This is extremely practical because the dirt disappears immediately and leaves no longer have to be collected.
If the leaf sack is full, it must of course be emptied so that it can take up new leaves.
Both functions have their advantages and can be used for different purposes.
The good news is that many devices offer both functions out of the box. So you don’t have to choose between a leaf vacuum and a leaf blower when buying.
In just a few simple steps, you can switch between blowing and vacuuming if necessary.
As a result, such devices are of course particularly flexible and can be used for many different tasks around the garden, terrace and property.
Quiet leaf blower with chopper
Some leaf blowers also offer a chopping function. Such a chopping function reduces the volume of the sucked in garden waste and thus offers more space for leaves in the collection bag.
This means that the collection bag does not have to be emptied so often and you save yourself a few trips to the compost. Also the composting can be accelerated.
Quiet leaf blower advantages and disadvantages
In our opinion, quiet leaf blowers have the following advantages and disadvantages:
- Devices with an electric motor are usually quieter
- Combination devices can often vacuum, blow and, if necessary, also chop and are therefore very flexible
- Battery leaf blowers do not require a power cable
- Leaf vacuums with a large collection bag are particularly practical
- Many models offer high suction and blowing power, even for demanding work
- Devices with an electric motor require a power source
- Leaf vacuums with gasoline engines are usually louder
Leaf vacuum and blower in the test
Some people want to read a detailed leaf vacuum test before buying. Therefore, the question occasionally arises whether the Stiftung Warentest has already tested leaf blowers and blowers.
If you search for the keyword “leaf vacuum” on the Stiftung Warentest website, you will find out that the Scandinavian colleagues from the consumer magazine Råd & Rön already tested leaf blowers and vacuum cleaners in 2017.
At the time of this article, however, this test was not available for free, which is why we do not know the results of this test.
However, if you want to find out customer opinions on the individual devices, you should definitely take a look at the respective customer reviews on Amazon. We always find this source of information very interesting.
Alternative to leaf blowers and leaf blowers
If you don’t want to spend so much money at first and like to do your gardening entirely by hand, you can use a leaf rake as an alternative to a leaf vacuum and a leaf blower.
Such leaf rakes usually have curved tines so that the leaves can be better picked up.
What to do with the leaves
As soon as the leaves have been collected, the question of how to proceed quickly arises, of course. What to do with all the leaves
First and foremost, of course, it makes sense to dispose of the leaves in the bio bin. Depending on the amount, however, this is quickly full and can no longer be used. So this is not recommended.
In some cities and municipalities, so-called leaf bags are made available specifically for the disposal of the leaves, in which the leaves can be disposed of. Simply ask your local waste disposal company about this.
Foliage or garden bags like this one here at Amazon * are also very practical for your own garden.
If you are unsure, you can also ask at the local recycling center. Most of the time, the waste can be handed in there.
However, one should know that leaves are not waste, but can be used as natural fertilizer. So it is much better to dispose of the leaves in your own garden.
For this purpose, the leaves can be piled into a large pile of leaves in a corner protected from the wind. Hedgehogs and other small creatures are happy about it and use the pile of leaves for their hibernation.
But larger animals also occasionally enjoy large piles of leaves ?
If you want things a little tidier, you can buy a leaf box or a leaf basket (leaf cage), or you can simply build it yourself. Such a leaf box is simply a cage made of wire mesh or wire mesh in which the leaves are stored.
Warning: some people might think of simply burning the leaves.
However, this is not a good idea because burning leaves is generally prohibited. If in doubt, check with your community.
Can you just leave the leaves in your garden?
In your garden you can of course do more or less what you want within the framework of the law. So you could just leave the leaves lying around.
While leaves can even be useful on beds, leaves should definitely be removed from the lawn.
Because if the leaves remain on the lawn, it no longer receives sufficient oxygen and light. This can cause rot, as the damp grass can no longer be dried properly by the sun.
This can also result in unsightly yellow spots on the lawn.
Quiet leaf blower conclusion
Quiet leaf vacuums and leaf blowers can take on a variety of tasks in the garden and on the property.
Combination devices that can blow, vacuum and chop are particularly practical.
Those who focus on quiet devices with electric motors from the outset are certainly doing themselves and their neighbors a favor.
Disclosure: Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.